Cleaning Out


It's usually this time of year that my home becomes over-run with extra this and extra that. Things seem to multiply in our closets, drawers, shelves and under the bed, much like rabbits. It doesn't take long for the organizational diva in me to draw the line in the sand, "this much and no more!"

Yesterday and today, I have spent many long hours cleaning out, cleaning up and re-organizing this ever shrinking apartment. I enjoy doing spring and fall cleaning--it's like you get to start fresh and new, kind of like the earth does this time of year.

Today, I had procrastinated long enough though. I had done every room in the house, tackling under the bed, high closet spaces as well as shelves and baskets and pantries...but I was saving the hardest for last. Gracie's closet was overrun with summer clothes and outfits she could no longer squeeze her long legs and arms into. I loath going through her clothes, for me, its the hardest part of being a mother--at least one of the hardest.

I tried to do it quickly, kind of like pulling a band-aid off a wound; but I found myself painstakingly folding and flattening her summer dresses and outfits that she could no longer wear. Before I knew it, 2 large bags were full of socks, shoes and tights, dresses and shorts, swimsuits and unused Little Swimmers.

Each season I try very hard to make sure that Gracie wears each outfit at least once, I seemed to have accomplished this...but you could tell which were our favorites by the worn out look of them. I carefully deflated the water floats that Gracie loved so much stored a top of her closet. I guess it was kind of like taking the air out of another stage of our baby's life; it was gone now and it was time to put the memories away for safe keeping.

There is still hope in Gracie's room though. Along with the stuffed bears, diapers, lullaby CD's and chunky crayons, there's a closet full of little girl dresses, sweaters, and overalls for those cool weekends when we head to the park or the pumpkin patch. And, there is great anticipation as I head to the stores again, to find great bargains and precious outfits for my little one. She needs new shoes too, as well as socks and onsies; shopping has always seemed to ease the pain.

I am so very proud of Gracie, and there are many things that she can do now, that she couldn't do when summer began. A new season has begun, winter awaits, and my child will grow in body, spirit and mind.

***Pictured above, one of my favorite summer outfits***

1 Response to "Cleaning Out"

  1. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Barbara,
    I think it is wonderful that you have created a blog for Gracie. I always enjoy reading them. Gracie is getting so big. Although it is not the same, I do enjoy watching Gracie grow and learn new things even if is through the computer. I really want to thank you and Garren for this opportunity. I never thought I would enjoy the computer so much. As you have noticed, having grand children changes everything. Thanks again to the both of you for the computer and the patient teaching. Keep up the GREAT work on the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel