Send Rice

Dear Grandma and Grandpa,

Please send rice--mommy's a genius!

Love,
Gracie

Okay, I am not a genius, but I am pretty proud of my latest idea. I saw how much fun Gracie had at mom and dads in the sandbox, and I hated that we didn't have one at home, nor could we get one. With just a small deck on the second floor and no yard, we are limited to outdoor toys. This past summer I had a storage box full of water and toys on the deck, but I had to cover the deck with plastic so the neighbors below us wouldn't get dripped on.

So, I thought: we can't have sand, too messy...why not dry rice? Last night at the grocery store Garren and I bough a huge bag of industrial cheap rice. This morning I put the rice in another rectangular rubbermaid storage container along with some spoons and cups and a dump truck. Gracie had a blast! I tried putting the box on plastic--but she wasn't much for sitting on the plastic, so I have a sheet under it now, and any rice that falls out can be poured back in. The large bag of rice only filled the box up about half an inch all the way around, so we will have to get more.

Now, if you can't handle messes, I do not recommend this indoor sand box solution. But, for me its all worth it since Gracie getting to do something fun and different. The rice is dry and it will vacuum up. Besides, the vacuum might like sucking up something besides Froot Loops!

1 Response to "Send Rice"

  1. Anonymous8:23 PM

    This is a wonderful idea Barbara! We use rice, beans, etc. to teach measurement. We have measuring cups, empty (washed out) milk cartons, and other containers. One teacher filled up a wash tub with rice for her first graders! They had a ball while learning at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel