Balance... or how to take a business call while changing a poopy diaper

By: Gracie's Daddy

Back when I thought I knew everything, I got really sick of people saying they had trouble finding "balance" in their lives. Balance between work and home, work and school, yin and yang, Atkins and South Beach and so on...

Now that I have a daughter and a career, I have learned that these people, while annoying, were on to something. Balance is tough...

I'm blessed with a job that allows me to work from home quite a bit. It's challenging, is kind of high stress and requires some travel. But, I can do the job on some days sitting in my running shorts on the couch. Those of you who know me understand just how scary that is.

But sometimes, things can backfire. Like one recent morning, when work and home collided in a four-car pile up that would have made the national news.

Barbara had gone to the gym, per her usual routine. That leaves Gracie and daddy at home for "Waffle Time!" We both get two Eggos with way too much syrup. We both eat both waffles. Gracie seldom helps with clean-up. That's when work began to intrude.

My cell phone, which I had left in the vibrate mode, started buzzing its way off the shelf. I pick it up. A state Senator wants to talk (I'm a reporter, BTW, for those of you who don't know me.) Gracie is off watching Barney, the purple dinosaur from realms beyond evil.

We're talking about a major bill moving through the statehouse, when, out of nowhere, comes the Princess. And she smells. She smells bad. And she wants me to know it, using her favorite phrase in the world.

"DID YOU POOPIE?! DID YOU POOPIE?! DID YOU POOPIE?!"

And then she was gone, back to the playroom for more Barney.

I'll leave you with this thought. Balance is good. Working from home is good. Having major business contacts say, "I think she pooped," is not good.

This is my life. Envy me.

1 Response to "Balance... or how to take a business call while changing a poopy diaper"

  1. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Garren, If laughter is good medicine, I should be very healthy after that one!! Thanks for the chuckle! Love ya, Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel