And so passes a fan...

Notice: Only Marginally Related to Gracie

Sad news from the Shipley house today. After 20 years of faithful service, the long-suffering Lasko pedestal fan has been decomissioned and disassembled.

Purchased from Lowe's (I think) sometime around 1986, the fan entered service in our family home at Kelley Gap, where it lulled us to sleep, cooled us off and generally kept us happy. From there, it was moved to the new home in Limestone.

A few years later, it followed me to my first home in Gray, then on to Kingsport after Barbara and I were wed in 2000. By this time, it had lost its front grill, had developed what sounded like a death rattle and needed a harmonic counterbalance (i.e., a towel) on the back to keep it from shaking itself to pieces.

In 2003, it came with us to Virginia, where it's condition worsened. After taking on a sound much like a helicopter in late 2005, a late-night rebuild took off its oscillation function in favor of stability.

Finally, last week, it passed the point of no return, shaking and rattling when balanced by even the most stable of counterweights.

On Friday, I put a new 16" Lasko fan in the bedroom. While this $17 investment should hold us until 2026, I can't help but feel sad. It's a nice fan, but it's just not the same. The old one will be missed.

Feel free to post your own memorials below.

2 Responses to "And so passes a fan..."

  1. Anonymous7:11 PM

    I'll try to get a sympathy card in the mail to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:52 PM

    My condolences. My Lasko fan circa 1993 is doing well, it sends its sympathy

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel