My First Book

I wrote my first book today. My first love has always been writing, and I knew someday I would write a book that would be read, well read by at least more than me. My first "book" was one I co-wrote with a friend of mine in 6th grade, then there was the family history book I wrote and distributed to family members in college. Okay, so this is my third book, but I think I am the most proud of this one.

I decided to write Gracie a book about letting go of binki. I took many pictures throughout the day to emphasis my point, and I used the pictures as illustrations. It came out rather well. I printed it out and I will do some craft work to it to make it look more like a book tomorrow so we can read it together tomorrow at bedtime.

Well I am very proud. It's not the same without the pictures that go along with it...but here's the story.

Gracie and Binki
A Story About Letting Go
By: Barbara Miller Shipley
Once upon a time there was a wonderfully happy and bright toddler named Gracie who was loved very much by her mommy and daddy.

Gracie had lots of friends to play with in her room, like Lamby and Bunny. But, the friend that Gracie loved the most was her binki.

Gracie and binki had been together ever since the day Gracie was born. The binki had changed colors over the past two years, but he was still comforting and Gracie loved him very much.
One day, Gracie’s mommy who loved her very much, told Gracie that binki was tired and that binki would need to rest more during the day.

Mommy told Gracie she could still have binki at naptime and bedtime.

Gracie was very sad that she couldn’t have binki anytime she wanted anymore, but she knew that her mommy loved her and that her mommy knew what was best for her.
It wasn’t always easy for Gracie to be without binki. Sometimes she would shout out for binki and cry.

Gracie’s mommy knew it would be hard for Gracie to let go of binki, and so she gave Gracie lots of extra hugs.

And, sometimes Gracie would really want binki and it was very hard to stop thinking about binki. So, Gracie’s mommy would find things to help Gracie forget that she was missing her binki.
One afternoon, Gracie wanted her binki, and she started to look for it.

She looked in her room, on her bookshelf, and in her closet—but binki was no where to be found!

“Where is my binki!” Gracie shouted. She really missed her friend.

She started to think about the places she had been that day and where she may have left binki. “What if he is lost?” Gracie moaned.
Gracie thought very hard. She didn’t remember having binki this morning when Mommy dressed her.
And, binki wasn’t there when she ate her lunch.
Binki wasn’t there this morning at the park when she and mommy had lots of fun climbing and swinging and sliding.

And, she didn’t remember seeing binki in the car on the ride home.
Binki wasn’t there during fun at the water table when she splashed and poured the water and had so much fun.

Binki wasn’t there while she played in the sandbox with all the cups and spoons.

“Where did binki go?” Gracie wondered.
Gracie was starting to feel very sad, so her mommy gave her a big hug and played tea party with Gracie.

Then Gracie found some fun books she wanted to read, and then she and mommy took a walk.

Gracie had forgotten all about binki, and her quest to find him.
Gracie ate her dinner and daddy gave her a nice warm bath before bedtime.

Then, Gracie remembered binki. She had looked for him earlier and couldn’t remember where she had left him. Gracie began to cry again, she missed binki very much.

After Gracie got her pajamas on and cuddled up to daddy for a bedtime story, Mommy brought binki to Gracie. Mommy said that binki had gotten plenty of rest, and that he had missed her too!
Gracie didn’t really need binki that day. She had lots of fun playing at the playground, splashing at the water table, and playing tea party with mommy.

And, the next time Gracie thinks about binki and misses him, she will remember that she will get to see binki when it is time for bed.

Gracie isn’t ready to give binki up yet, but for now she is learning that she doesn’t need binki all the time, and bedtime is enough for now.
The End

2 Responses to "My First Book"

  1. Anonymous9:00 AM

    Fantastic writing Barbara! You've found your calling. I'll be anxious to hear how Gracie responds to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:03 PM

    Cute! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel