Masterpiece


Tonight I was given a wonderful treat as I watched the inter-artist come alive in my 28 month old.

Gracie had been a wonderful toddler this morning, but she seemed to wake up from her afternoon nap "on the wrong side of the bed!" Despite her crankiness, I pushed on and got dinner done and found the patience to put together several puzzles. I had pulled out a wooden bird feeder kit for an after dinner family project. But, since Garren had to work extra late tonight, Gracie and I got started early.

She seemed to perk up when I dumped out the small wooden pieces on the table. We carefully glued the slats together to make this absolutely adorable little house (isn't the dollar store great!). But, the fun was just getting started. The glue was barely dry and Gracie was begging to paint.

Finger-painting has always been her favorite thing to do, she also loves making crafts and coloring and playing play dough. I already knew she had a creative streak a mile wide like her mother--but even I didn't know how much she truly enjoyed it.

I opened the small containers of paint that came with the kit and handed her a paintbrush, you would have thought I had sliced a chocolate cake and given her a spoon. She instantly lit up. She started softly talking a mile a minute as she made very careful strokes with the brush. She was so intent in what she was doing, she could have burnt the little house down with the glare of her eyes. It was so amazing to watch.

I helped her put on the first coat by smoothing out the clumps of paint, and then I started to feel guilty. I didn't want to become one of those parents that takes over their child's projects and can't stand if it isn't perfect. So, I let her take the brush and the colors and decorate it anyway she wanted. She was very careful to announce and use each color on all sides of the house. It is very hard to describe just how meticulous she was, but I stood in amazement.

She continued to talk her way through her skilled stokes (she reminded me of a little Bob Ross with the "happy trees" and everything), and repeated her new word that I taught her, "masterpiece, momma."

An hour later I finally had to take the brush and paints away from her. It was time for bed. She cried and cried as I cleaned her up.

What an amazing little artist I have, and a wonderful little person I am raising.

**I put the rest of the pictures from the birdhouse craft, along with others, in the July 2006 folder on snapfish. Click here.**

1 Response to "Masterpiece"

  1. Anonymous7:54 PM

    Gracie,
    You just made my day brighter with your beautiful smile! I love you so much and can't wait to see you again. your birdhouse is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel