Thanks, But No Thanks

Its kind of funny really. I have received more advice in the past 6 months than in all my 9 months of pregnancy. Only this time, its been about one topic: potty training.

Many of you know that Gracie is not only not interested in learning to use the potty, she could care less to sit around... shall we say "wet". I wish I could shout at all of those well meaning 2-cent givers that "Gracie is my child!; she is only 2!; we aren't going to push her!; and what ever worked for little Tommy and Annie may not work for Gracie!" But, I just smile and nod kindly.

My patience is wearing thin.

Gracie will not become the youngest child ever to wear big girl pants, but I am pretty confident she will not walk across the stage at her High School graduation wearing Pampers.

There are hundreds of suggestions that I have been given; some of them good ideas, some of them just weird. But, there is a nearly-common look I get each time: "I can't believe she won't use the potty--there is clearly something wrong with her or you just aren't trying hard enough!"

No, no one has ever said that out loud--yet. But, no one ever seems to remember that dishing out advice while touting about how your now 30 year old son/daughter was potty trained by 2 years old by only reading a simple story, is very hard to take. I am not a bad mother! Gracie is not a slow learner! She does not have medical complications! I try plenty hard!

I am not sure if I am trying to convince myself or all of you. But, I will say this; when Gracie is potty trained, and she will be potty trained someday, I pray that I will keep my mouth shut about how it happened and how long it took. I want to spare any other new mother the embarrassment of feeling that their child is somehow inferior.

Now that I have all of that out in the open, I will say I appreciate many of the caring comments I have gotten and the concern over Gracie and her potty training efforts. We decided not to push her and we won't. But, the fact is: until it bothers her that she is wet or soiled, and I assure you she doesn't, we can go no further with the happy potty.

1 Response to "Thanks, But No Thanks"

  1. Anonymous7:03 PM

    Ha! A lady I know has twin boys. She had such a time with them. When they were 3, they actually tried to change each other's diapers, but still didn't want to potty. They are both in kindergarten now, and just fine. You will survive! Heck, what do I know? All I can do is housetrain a dog! I didn't even do the old hillbilly trick in which people rub the dog's nose in their poop! Gross...I bet I'd let Lucie's nose touch that! I must say that I was very successful without all the hillbilly advice, and Lucie was NEVER spanked either!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel