Little Fish, Big Pond

It is far too quiet around here this morning. I am sitting here blogging listening to a Murder She Wrote episode hoping that 11:15 will come quickly. After all, I left my most precious cargo in other hands this morning, and I am not exactly handling it well.

Today, as you may have guessed, is Gracie's first day of Preschool.

I had to wake her up this morning, and she was excited as she ate her breakfast (raisin bread and cinnamon butter). I was nervous.

She was excited as she brushed her teeth, and let me brush her hair. I had butterflies as big as frogs.

She was excited as she put on the dress Grandma made her. I needed to throw up.

She was excited as she helped put on her new socks and shoes. I was ready to cry.

She was excited as she hugged daddy goodbye and grabbed her backpack. I was hoping she would change her mind and stay home.

She didn't change her mind, and as we drove the 2 miles to her school she talked about all the toys they had and the things they would be doing.

We walked down the sidewalk and I saw many moms and dad and kids all ready for their first days too. I decided I would not be the weakest link. I walked tall and put on a brave face. But, before I took her in, I had to snap a first day of school picture. She proudly smiled and I was so happy that I had a good one.

When we walked in to school I had to hold on to her! She was so ready to play that I actually had to call her back so we could hang up her backpack in her cubby. I hung her backpack and showed her the little surprise that I put in it. I made her a little cloth bag that held mommy hugs and kisses in case she needed one while I was a way.

She was off again. I called her to get a hug. She went back to play. It was good, but quite heart breaking the way she just walked off.

Things were going swimmingly until I told her "bye, see you after school." That's when she got this deer-in-headlights look. I could tell she was panicking, but I was half way out the door and I knew (as the teachers had specified) that coming back in and making a fuss wouldn't help her or I. When I left I didn't hear crying, so hopefully she was consoled and she went on playing. Too bad I didn't have anyone to console me!

I left the church parking lot and went on to Food Lion. I wanted to pick up cookies and milk for this afternoon. Garren and I are taking her to lunch when we pick her up today, but I wanted her to celebrate with her friends, so I invited the girls and moms over for cookies and milk at 3:30 when the big kids get out of school.

I am sure she is fine and having a good time. She needs this. It is good for her. What do I need? A good cry and time to move faster. Well, just from 9:00-11:30, and then it can move like a snail!

**Above: Gracie outide her Preschool. Grandma made the dress, I made the hairbow.**

4 Responses to "Little Fish, Big Pond"

  1. Anonymous6:26 PM

    Good job mommy...you survived! I thought about you this morning as I was teaching reading around 9am. I love the dress and hairbow! Hum...if it makes you feel better...I won't leave Lucie for an hour long haircut (but thankfully you don't have to worry about Gracie biting her teacher or taking a muzzle off her nose).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. I cannot believe that she's old enough to go off to school! Great job on surviving the day to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:16 PM

    I read this and could totally feel your pain! I'm so glad she had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:26 PM

    Hello there, your daughter is so cute, I love her little school bus dress. I bet it was a hard day for you. I know that when I put my son into daycare, it was an awful day, well few months for me. He seems to enjoy it more now, but I think that it is harder on the parents then the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel