One long night...

As I write this, Gracie and Barbara are both (finally) sleeping in our bedroom. Now that I've got a few hours of sleep and most of the mess cleaned up, I can tell the story.

Tuesday night wasn't the longest of my life, but it was definitely in the top 5...

Wednesday was shaping up to be a long day, so I bailed out from work a little early to run some errands (nail+tire=day killer) and come home and see the girls. Gracie was in fine spirits, as was Barbara. All the long hours at work were going to pay off handsomely on Wednesday evening, as we made out twice monthly grocery shopping trip. Goodies were in store for all, and we were planning out who got what.

After dinner, we all played games together until bed time for Gracie. Goodnights were said, and all was well until 11 p.m., when Barbara and I were about to turn in.

That's when Gracie screamed.

I bolted for her room, followed by Barbara. We found Gracie sitting upright in bed, arms flayed out, shrieking, and covered in her dinner. There was also this weird popping noise when she wasn't screaming... turns out later she was grinding her teeth.

We pulled her out of bed and started to clean her up. Then she vomited again. And again. When she finally didn't have anything left to lose, she weakly asked, "Can I have my juicy?" She drank deeply, and it call came back up. We took away the juice and gave her wet wash cloth to suck on. She puked again anyway.

Lather, rinse, repeat, until we all wound up on a makeshift pallet in the living room, watching Noggin. I was ready to take my baby to the ER, until Barbara pointed out that she was still watching TV while throwing up... Apparently, she wasn't in as bad of shape as I'd thought.

We all settled in together for a long night. Around 2 a.m., the barfing settled into a 25 -minute pattern, and the intensity backed off. Poor Gracie was so sleepy that when she'd wake up to barf, she'd fall asleep the second I held her forehead. Many, many prayers were said.

Knowing what Wednesday looked like for me (and trust me, right now is the easiest part of the day I'm going to have) Barbara told me to rest while she stayed up with Gracie. Fortunately, she only threw up two more times, and both my girls managed to get some sleep.

As of now, I have no idea what the cause was. We shared the same diet all day, Gracie never ran a fever. Food poisoning and a stomach virus seem to be unlikely candidates.

Regardless, it looks like the worst is over. I'm going to shower, head to the store and get some things like pop ice for Gracie, get the first round of groceries and try to deal with that huge day I have to deal with. Richmond awaits on Thursday.

I'm so glad they're resting. I'm going to go do my stuff and get home as quickly as possible to take care of my baby girl and her super mommy.

2 Responses to "One long night..."

  1. YikeS! I hope Gracie is feeling better...that's so scary! And I hope both you and Gracie's mommy get lots of rest and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Gracie is very lucky to have such great parents that love her and take such good care of her! Trust me, many children have no one to sit up with them when they are sick. I'm not sure I could handle this situation! I'd die! I can handle Lucie when she is sick (which she's been sick way too much), but that's a different ballgame! I hope things get better really soon!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel