I Can See Clearly Now

Maybe it is because Garren is out of town and I am having to parent literally alone, or maybe it is the extra silence; but I am starting to see a lot more of my precious daughter that isn't shall we say so "perfect."

For starters, I am not sure she ever stops talking. I mean seriously she goes on and on and on and on endlessly about everything and anything and nothing at all. Usually, I laugh to myself about her rantings and smile and think long and hard and wonder if she gets it from me. But, without the extra noise and distraction that Garren makes, suddenly her endless (and I do mean endless) talking is starting to make me cringe. I am not sure when she breathes, I am not sure if she breathes. Will she ever run out of topics...who talks this much. I mean she is 4, how much can a four year old have to talk about?! :)

And then, as I sit down to eat with her (and listen to endless conversation), I realize that waiting for her to finish her food is like watching paint dry. It wasn't that long ago that my very healthy eater inhaled her food and then asked for more and was still down from the table before her father and I. The past few days, I have eaten, cleaned up my dishes, cleared the table, and started loading the dishwasher all before her plate is even half way done. I started thinking back and realized this has been going on for a while. It isn't that she isn't hungry or doesn't want to eat, she just takes forever! Last night I had to finally take her food away an hour after we sat down at the table. I know that seems drastic, but I had told her for over a half hour to eat so we could get her ready for bed. While a great deal of her problem is that she can't stop talking long enough to put food in her mouth, I have to wonder what else is she up to. She is great at stalling--so it could be postponing bedtime, or it could be to get extra attention. Whatever it is--it too is giving me even more gray hairs.

And, finally I am noticing that having Garren around isn't all that bad ;) While I do most of the parenting, and household chores, I didn't realize how much the breaks helped my sanity. For instance, he usually gives her a shower in the evenings. By the end of the day I am usually a frayed woman, and I need to be off duty for at least one thing. Last night she complained because I didn't do it "like daddy." Plus, there are those few moments before he goes to work or when he comes home that in a pinch I can walk away and know she will not fall apart. Without him here at all, and her home sick I am "mommy-on-demand" literally 24 hours a day.

Usually I go on and on in this blog about how Gracie is the light of my life--and she is. But hey I am human too, and she is four and there are days I am not sure if we will survive each other.

1 Response to "I Can See Clearly Now"

  1. Anonymous2:24 PM

    She needs a pet to talk to! I have some kids this year that literally can't shut up. I have one that will hold his lips closed with his fingers, and he'll still be talking while doing this. Interest her in computer or video games for at least 30 minutes to an hour a day. Make her wear headphones so that you don't have to hear that either.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel