Gracie's Take On The New President


I am sure that when Gracie gets older she will be asked, "where were you when Obama was sworn in as President." When she has to answer this challenging history question she can honestly say...

"I was in my princess pajamas playing with play dough at the blue table and daddy turned the TV from Noggin and told me to watch because it was important."

Then when they ask "what did you think, or how did you feel when our country swore in it's first African American President?" She can honestly say...

"I wish Ariel was president. Ariel's Prince Eric could be the President because he is a boy."

Yeah, this is the way it went down around noon today.

Despite how you feel about our new President, you have to agree that it is a historic moment for our country, and it is important for our kids to know what is going on. Well, at least that's how Garren and I feel.

To be honest I have been so sick I completely forgot the inauguration was today, and since our TV stays glued to kids programming I would have missed it and felt bad. But, just before Garren left he turned it to one of the major networks and tried to explain to our four year old just how important it was.

After Daddy left, Gracie told me "Daddy is at work now, you can turn it back to my channel." I smiled a bit and told her to be patient that it was important and something like this doesn't happen all the time. Luckily for me singing was next. Gracie though Aretha Franklin sang a beautiful "lullabye." If you missed out, she sang "My Country Tis Of Thee," it was beautiful and soulful, but it was slow and I guess from a four year old's persepective it did sound like a lullabye.

So, Gracie played play dough and kept an eye on what was going on. When it came time for the swearing in, I called her over to the sofa with me and told her this was the important part. She told me "is she nervous?" I then realised she though Michelle Obama was the new President. I told Gracie that they were probably both nervous, but it was the man with the tie that was the new President. That's when she told me "I wish Ariel could be president." That's my Gracie.

I don't think too much of this historic day sank in, but I feel like she got something out of it. And, we are saving the paper for when she is older and will be more interested. But, she did take away a small lesson. I told her that you don't have to be a boy to be President. We haven't had a girl President yet, but they can be one too. She smiled and seemed to find relief in that statement. So, one of these days when a Disney Princess steps up to take the oath of office, you will know who her campaign manager was ;)

2 Responses to "Gracie's Take On The New President"

  1. Hi,
    You don't know me, but I just stumbled upon your site by hitting "next blog". I love the stories you've posted. You do a great job capturing Gracie's personality. Good luck with the new one on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Gracie, I would much rather watch "your channels" than Obama's inauguration. However, we don't seem to get those channels with an antenna! So, needless to say that it was on almost every channel at our house.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel