Mommy's Little Piggy

Yep, mommy's little darling turned in to a wee little piggy Friday night.

While the pediatrician on call at 3am Saturday morning was sure Gracie had Swine Flu, I wasn't convinced. What I did know was that I have never been so scared in my life. Your child with a 104 degree fever will do that to a person!

At that point we made the very hard decision to divide up our children. Well, Garren made the decision and I cried-- a lot.

Gracie couldn't come in contact with Thomas or mommy. If it was Swine Flu, it could be very dangerous for her 8 month old brother and since he demands 24 hour care from me I was off limits too. So, mommy had to sit on the sidelines and let Daddy take care of her eldest baby.

Garren took Gracie to Urgent Care on Saturday as the doctor had suggested (since the pediatrician is closed on weekends) to get her tested for the piggy flu. They refused to test her claiming the test was up to 20 percent inaccurate. They also told Garren that even if she were to test "positive," they would not write out a Tamaflu prescription since the CDC has said that symptoms are not that bad here in Virginia.

The pediatrician had told Garren he would write out a prescription and I went to pick it up at Walmart. But as I waited, and waited for them to run our health insurance, I had a chance to talk to the pharmacist--and I made the decision not to have it filled.

It wasn't just because it was $70! I didn't even know that is what she had and I did not like the idea of giving her a medication for an illness she may not have. I also learned that it only cuts back the illness by 1 day and it wouldn't protect Thomas as he was likely already exposed.

I was shocked and relieved when so many other people applauded my decision. I felt like a bad mother for not doing everything in my power to help my child. She wasn't acting sick at all, and if it weren't for the high fevers (100-102) you would never have known she was sick. But, I had a chance to give her medication to ease any possible suffering she may get in the future.

Gracie's fever went up and down from Saturday until Monday, and only reaching "normal" for a few hours Monday. But, by Sunday night I knew that the doctor was right (although I still think he guessed). Gracie developed the very distinguishable "barking cough" that goes along with Swine Flu.

Obviously we kept her out of school, and she was loving the TV that daddy brought up and hooked up to her portable DVD player. That is until Monday morning. Now, she was tired of being quarantined. We had to make her stay in her room to lessen the spread of germs. We promised her once she went a whole day and night without a fever she could come out.

She was able to leave her prison today. This made her happy, and Thomas too. They missed each other.

She still has the cough and we are SUPER diligent about making sure she covers her mouth, sanitizes after every cough, and stays out of the baby's face.

Going by the school rules she wouldn't be illegible to return to school until Friday (48 hour fever policy), but we have decided to keep her out the whole week as the last thing she needs is to pick up a cold or something with her weak immune system.

So, that is where we are. Crossing our fingers that Thomas, nor the rest of us, get this dreaded Swine Flu all while taking care of a very demanding and bored 5 year old.

I knew there was another reason I didn't want to send her to Kindergarten! Oh the diseases she will find.

2 Responses to "Mommy's Little Piggy"

  1. I'm glad she's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, one good thing of all this - she won't get the H1N1 again! (or so "they" say) Give her a big hug from us and ya'll all stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel