Over Reaction

Well, what else is new when it comes to Kindergarten and my Gracie?!

So, a dad of a little boy in Gracie's class came up to me yesterday and proudly announced that his son had told him that Gracie was his girlfriend. He had a proud papa grin on his face. I forced a smile.

She is only 5--and I didn't find it cute. I don't know if I am the absolute exception, especially since this happened with other kids in preschool and their parents seemed to think it was adorable.

I am not ready, nor do I think it is appropriate for kids to "pair off" at this age. My husband disagrees. Well, he doesn't want her to get married, but thinks it is totally natural. It may be natural to him and others, but it is not natural to me. She still sleeps with stuffed animals and has an imaginary friend. That doesn't scream "ready for a relationship" to me!

Thankfully Gracie has my...hmm..naivety. Okay, so we are both oblivious girls. She has no concept of the idea of boyfriend and girlfriend. And, I am not upset about this--she can ignore this part of life until she is 30.

This isn't the first hint that Gracie is turning the little boys heads (which makes my husband proud). A few weeks ago she came home with a paper in her folder full of colored pink hearts. it had a little boys name on it. I thought she got the wrong paper, but she informs me that he made it for her. I secretly groaned to myself, but found comfort in the fact that she acted indifferent. So, I let it go.

I guess with this new "title" that this parent had placed on my daughter. I kind of went over the emotional/protective edge.

I just lost my baby to strangers for 8 hours a day, and now I have little boys lining up to "court" her. Nope, not handling it well.

And many thanks to the lots of laughter at my "crisis." Actually, sometimes it is helpful to be shown that I am being completely ridiculous. Thankfully, Gracie's teacher was not so "harsh" and was very supportive to my concern. Apparently it is both common and harmless.

I guess I dodged another bullet, and earned a big mommy star.

2 Responses to "Over Reaction"

  1. Candice7:38 PM

    Yes, I laughed at you and told Elliott you'll be the talk of the teachers' lounge. We love to share our overprotective mommy emails and letters at lunch. This is sooooooo typical. They are KIDS!! You'll learn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mamaw4:12 PM

    Gracie's natural beauty, inside and out, draw other children to her. Be proud, not worried. She's a beautiful little person!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel