A New Year For Change

Six months from now I will have to pack up all the things in this house and take my two small children and move them to a new home...140 miles and two and a half hours away.

I struggle to even write this post as all the thoughts of what I will "miss out on" cloud my my mind.

What I should be concentrating on is all of the doors that will open for Gracie & Thomas, all the new adventures we will have, and all of the new friends we will make.

But, I have never been good at making friends, my idea of an adventure is finding a new thrift store, and I don't handle change very well.

So, with a new year, and a new decade will come more challenges for me. The challenge of saying goodbye, the challenge of learning new places, the challenge of starting over, the challenge of getting to know a new school and new teachers that will spend more of the day with my child than I will.

Pretty pitiful huh?!!

Garren gets a new and amazing job and I sit around and cry in my Wheaties (well, actually I am eating some ice cream)!

It just all happened so fast. One day we are taking down the Christmas tree, the next we are talking about a new home in Richmond,VA. One day my husband is a reporter, the next he is the new Communications Director for the Republican Party of Virginia!

It really did happen that fast. He interviewed on a Saturday. By Friday he had decided to take the job and worked his last day at the Northern VA Daily, summing up a 12+ year career as a journalist. This past Monday he started his new job.

We are very happy, and even more proud of Garren. Not only for the new and exciting job, but for taking a HUGE leap of faith and starting a whole new chapter in his life. The least we can do is jump with him.

There are some good points to all of this. For starters, his new bosses are allowing Garren to work from home until June when Gracie graduates from Kindergarten. The idea of having to take her out of school mid year during such a formative and important year was too much for mommy. And, mommy has a few high school classmates that live in the area, so we won't have to start over with out a little support in the same zip code (like we did last time!)

You know, I have done all of this before. I picked the University Of Tennessee as a college choice and left my hometown to go to school 6 hours away. I loved the idea of starting fresh and on a new adventure. And after graduation I looked at jobs in South Carolina and Georgia and couldn't wait to move on an have a new chapter. Then, I pushed (gently, I hope) Garren in to interviewing for a new job and we landed here in Strasburg ready to start fresh and new.

But, that was a long time ago. I am old now. I am old and I have children. I am not youthful and full of life--I am mother seeking an anchor for my family. So, you can't blame me for dragging my feet and sobbing wildly when no one is looking.

So, when I am not being a drama queen, I plan to make the most of my 6 months. I will spend as much time enjoying this wonderful town that we have fallen in love with. We are going to spend so much extra time with Aunt Ruth & Uncle George and the Mozingo's that they are going to get so sick of us. And, I am stocking up on all the thrift store deals I can because they may not have them in Richmond!

And, we will be coming back! We have too many people we love here to drop everything and never look back. You can expect us back at least once a month for church services and lunch out, and time at some of our favorite places and with the people we have grown to love like family.

So, it will be okay. We will be just fine. And, we will grow as a family....and God will continue his plan for us, and me. And, just maybe I can do it all with a little bit of grace ( I said "little bit"--thank goodness I have six months to pull that one off! :)

So keep us in your prayers as we start over again, and Garren starts a new job (that he is SO excited about). And, don't forget us, because we won't forget you.

3 Responses to "A New Year For Change"

  1. We love you BJ - you can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl12:45 PM

    Congratulations on beginning a new chapter in your lives! You will do great. You've always been successful in everything you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know... as many changes are coming... this (in my opinion) is the EASIEST time to ever move! with kids in school now, you come into a whole new community of parents all like minded, and it is great to make friends with your kids friends parents... I think it would be harder to move to a new area without your kids to help find a social life for you! congrats guys!!!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel