Sleep Drama, Day 3

After 13 months of being up all night, and barely getting 3 hours of sleep at a stretch, I have decided to take matters in to my own hands.

I really thought that as he got bigger, he would sleep longer, and better. Apparently he loves his nightly snuggles with a half asleep mommy.

So, the milk breaks have to go.

Since he was getting 3-4 bottles a night, and taking various amounts each time, I have decided not to cut him off cold turkey. I will reduce the bottles to ONE per night and then once we tolerate that, take the milk away completely. I also plan to do the water suggestion that the pediatrician recommended. I figure he sleeps for roughly 12 hours a night. He can have one milk at 6 hours into the evening. So, roughly around 1am.

I have to say, while I am still up at night, things are going pretty well.

The Milk Log:

Day 1 (Sunday night into Monday morning)

Disasterous! I don't think milk had anything to do with it, but he was up ALL night.

9pm: up crying (screaming) Found his bink, put him back down. Cries a little more before falling back to sleep.

10:30 pm: up crying again. Found his binky, gave him a little water, put him back down. Residual crying until back to sleep.

11:45pm: up crying. Change his diaper. Find bink, give him Chewy, put him back down. Residual crying until back to sleep.

12:50pm: Figure the 10 minute difference wouldn't be that big of a deal. Give him 4 ounces of milk. He goes down easy--no residual crying.

4:45 am: Up and screaming. Try to give him water, he smacks the bottle. Give him bink and cover him back up. He continues to cry and fuss for the next HOUR!!!

6:00am: I cave, give him a bottle so I can get 45 minutes of sleep before I have to get up and get Gracie ready for school. He goes back to sleep easily.

8:15 am: He is up for the day.

Day 2 (Monday night into Tuesday morning)

***He sleeps from the time I put him down until 2 am!!! This is a HUGE victory. I don't know if denying him milk had anything to do with it, but I will take it!! ***

2:00am: Fix him 4 ounces of milk, he only takes 2! Goes back to sleep easily.

5:00 am: Up and crying. He continues to fuss off and on for an hour. Seems like a trend is forming!

6:00 am: back to sleep

9:00 am: up for the day

Day 3 (Tuesday night into Wednesday morning)

10:45 pm: Crying. Give him a bink and a sip of water. He grabs Chewy and rolls over and goes back to sleep! No residual crying! Another HUGE victory!

1:00 am (almost on the nose!) Cries. Takes 2 ounces of the 4 ounces of milk I fixed him. Goes back to sleep easily.

5:00 am: crying. Refuses water. Give him his bink. He fusses a for a minute and then goes back to sleep. Too bad I didn't! I was preparing to hear him for his usual hour of screams, and got too awake apparently.



So, it is going okay. I am hoping that tonight will be even better than last night, and the next, and the next. I am thinking since he is now not even taking all of his milk, I can wean the bottles out completely in another day or two.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!!

3 Responses to "Sleep Drama, Day 3"

  1. WoW~~ that is great... i took cara to dentist and he told me no mor enight feedings today... we'll start our long nights tonight...hopefully she will do as well as thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Ruth8:43 PM

    Hang in there ladies! It's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our amazing discoveries has been the diapers...better quality, more absorbent diaper = Nina doesn't wake up as often wet and wanting to be changed. She was waking up 3-4 times a night. We were using regular Pampers, got some free samples in the mail (Pampers Swaddlers), tried them and the first night she only woke up once! YEAH! I bought a pack of the Swaddlers just for night use.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel