Lessons For Mommies & Daddies


It is so easy for us to take the time to remind our children of the lessons that we find so important for them to learn--but the irony is we forget those lessons ourselves.

I want to be sure everyday that Gracie and Thomas know they are loved.

There hasn't been a day that has gone by in their lives that I haven't told them how much I love them. In fact, they hear it multiple times a day.

I want Gracie to know as a girl, she can be anything she wants to be, and her gender can't stop her. Of course for now I leave out the "gender" part of the equation, no need to make her resent men or history without a need. All she needs to know is she can do anything she wants to because she is great no matter what.

I want Thomas to know he will not get a free pass because he is a boy. He won't get treated worse--but certainly not "better" because of his gender. He will be loved as much as Gracie, and he too can do anything he wants. But, he will learn to behave like a proper young gentleman.

The kids will also know what is wrong and what is right. We will do out best to keep political swayings out of their young impressionable minds. They will know you don't hit, you don't curse, you don't tattle....you get the idea.

We each have different lessons for our kids that are important. Yours may be about saving the Earth or guns or never having bangs. But, I think knowing that you are loved and wanted is almost universal.

So, now I get to the point of my blog post...

I found a very nice Max Lucado book at the thrift store yesterday and had to get it for $.25. I am sure we have that title, but it was just such a nice edition, I thought we could give it to another child.

I know I hve read Gracie either that story or another one starring his fictional characters called "the Wemmicks." Aunt Ruth even gave her a beautiful story of them for Christmas. But, while I was reading it to her, making sure she understood the message--I seemed to have lost it myself.

Gracie was coloring, and Thomas was napping, and I was just plain exhausted from a day of grocery shopping.

I pulled my treasures out of my bag from the thrift store one by one. When I got to the book, I pulled it out and started to read it.

It is a short story with a beautiful message, and when I got to the line that reads

"Remember," Eli said as the Wemmick walked out the door, "you are special because I made you. And I don't make mistakes."

I found myself near tears.

How had I missed that passage all these times? How had I missed that message?!

I want so much for Gracie and Thomas to know they were wanted and loved not only by me but by God, and yet I have never believed that about myself.
A fictional (yet not really) book for children to help them understand God's love finally "got" to me.

I guess when we reach adulthood, or parenthood or a mixture of both, we forget that we too will have lessons to learn, and maybe even re-learn.

So, don't be surprised when you are blindsided yourself one of these days, when realize you are teaching your kids something that is so important, but forgot yourself somewhere along the way.

And, if you have kids find yourself a copy of one of the books about the Wemmicks, or check them out in the library. It makes the very special lesson about God's love and acceptance so much easier to understand. You may even find yourself being reminded too.


Book Titles
  • If I Only Had A Green Nose
  • You Are Mine
  • You Are Special *the one that "got" to me







1 Response to "Lessons For Mommies & Daddies"

  1. cheryl2:12 PM

    Barbara,
    I'm so glad and thankful that Gracie and Thomas have such a wonderful mother to guide them through this life and love them so completely!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel