Guess Who Can Tie Her Shoes?!

My Gracie--that's who!

Okay, maybe kids know how do this long before the start of First Grade, but I am super proud none the less.
Although, as much as I would like to, I can't take credit for it.

We have been talking about teaching her to tie her own shoes for nearly a year now, and I (ashamedly) hadn't stopped to take the time to do so.

The end of last month Gracie's shoe was untied while we were with Aunt Ruth & Uncle George for a (farewell) ice cream treat. Ruth, thinking better on her feet than I, took the time to show Gracie how to tie those pesky laces.

I had once gone over the idea of the loops and bows and such and Ruth showed her the way she taught her kids (one loop), and then the way I learned (2 bunny ears). It was hot and Gracie knew that we would be moving in a matter of days and was very out of sorts, so she ended up getting frustrated at the situation that day. But, apparently she remembered the lesson and was practicing on her own.

Yesterday she announced to her daddy that she could tie her own shoe. I didn't think much of it, except to feel super guilty that more time had passed and I hadn't sat down and worked and worked with her. My child could do math at age 4, but I hadn't taken the time to help her with her own laces!!!

This morning she told me she could tie her own shoes. I said "let's see!" and I handed her the wooden shoe that Grandma had given her year ago that helps kids practice.

Low and behold she tied it up nice and tight!!!

I am so proud!!

So, please be sure to cheer along with me for Gracie. Being able to tie your shoes is a very big accomplishment, and it is another step towards independence (okay, so I don't like that part s much).

Way to go Gracie!




2 Responses to "Guess Who Can Tie Her Shoes?!"

  1. Just goes to show you that you never know when they're paying attention.

    I don't think we appreciate the dexterity that they have acquired in order to tie their shoes. It's hard for little fingers to do - really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice6:32 PM

    Awesome!

    Now, Mommy needs to go to crocs.com and order you a cute pair of the dressy little Crocs that you don't even have to tie! You can wear those on lazy days! Barbara, they do have some really cute styles! Check out the outlet tab!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel