A New Place To Pray

Well...when I can keep Thomas quiet and happy anyway.

Yesterday on the ride home from dinner, Gracie asks from the backseat "mommy, can we go to church tomorrow...please?"

First, I am so proud that I have done such a good job in her "spiritual upbringing" that she wants to go to church and misses the Sunday routine, knowing that it won't be like it was at "home."

Secondly, how can you refuse that kind of plea? Seriously, think about it?!

Third, I had a big ole' talk with myself yesterday (scroll down to read that one) about being more positive and finding the "mother" inside of me that I seemed to have lost.

Of course now I have to actually get up, get the kids ready, and face what might be (and was!!) the most difficult challenge of change for this entire move.

Daddy wasn't feeling up to par all weekend, but I had told Gracie we would go. So, now I face this difficult challenge by myself and with two small children--one of whom is a nightmare in solemn hours (heck in any hour!).

I got the kids dressed and ready (in adorable coordinating sailor attire I might add) all while my stomach made larger and larger knots within.

Garren found me directions to the church that Reverend Ed had recommended. He (Rev. Ed) even went so far as to email the minister there (that he knew) and told him we were new to town...etc.

The kids and I piled in the car stocked with every kind of distraction possible. I drove past her school and then made the necessary turns.

Imagine my surprise, and then panic, when I turned into one of several very large parking lots. This church was easily as big as Gracie's school. It was swarming with people and cars and hustle and bustle.

Now, I may not have set the best example at that moment, but I said to Gracie "wow, that is a big church!" She said "yes, maybe as big as my school!"

I then asked her, "hmmm, what if maybe we try the smaller church first?" She seemed fine with that idea, and I tried to talk to her about how I would rather go to a smaller church like we had a home, and that it was a better fit for me and our family. We talked about how long it would take for her to learn everyone at her school...and how long it took to get to know the people at our old church.

She followed mommy's logic very well, and I drove the road back.

We pass by Mechanicsville Methodist Church on our way to Gracie's school, and Gracie even asked about that church and I told her it was an option, but that Rev. Ed had told us about a different one.

Well, I have to admit, I am feeling guilty at this point for "judging a book by its cover." We all know we shouldn't do that, and I am sure there were wonderfully fine people inside those rather spacious walls. But, I knew instantly it wasn't a place where I would be comfortable.

Most of my guilt melted away when Gracie, Thomas and I entered the front doors of this new, and much more traditional looking church.

We were greeted by countless people who just fell all over my children and myself. They were of the much older age group (my kind of people--come on, we all know I am at least 40-50 inside and always have been!).

It took us a while to even get a seat since there were so many to greet us, and not in a creepy way either.

Oh, and I have to break to tell you that my little man is well on his way to becoming a politician. I guess because so many people tried to shake his hand, he decided it was cool and then wanted all of the new nice strangers to shake his hand. It was precious (and the last precious thing he would do that morning...but, I digress...)!

So we find a seat and I start to look through the novel that was in fact a bulletin. Of course they called it a "program."

Now, it might be easier to break the next hour down like this...

Pro: what wonderful and very nice people, mostly older, the rest with young families like ours
Con: they did that horrifying "are there any visitors?" thing and everyone stared at us even though I pretended to be busy with Thomas and didn't stand up!!! And, the pews were pretty bare. Could have been an off Sunday, but it doesn't seem to have a very large membership.

Pro: Smaller church
Con: they have a projector: not a fan, I like my church experience to be like the 50's...but I know that this is what many churches will have to resort to to get more young tooshies in the pews. But, it seems to be used to show upcoming events before the service starts, and then has info like " turn to page..." So, I am thinking once you are used to it--it won't be so distracting if you aren't used to it (or a fan of modern technology in church)

Pro: There were plenty of children, and even a children's message up front with a very nice and simple story/message.
Con: It was definitely not the order of service I was looking for. It was okay, but it was broken up into several unusual sections and there was a lot of "be seated" (something for 30-45 seconds) "please stand." And, there were several "leaders" of the service. I didn't see the actual minister until the last 15-20 minutes of the service. He doesn't even sit in the front of the church--he sits in the front pew with other church goers.

Pro: They have children's church! Gracie followed the other kids after the children's message knowing Thomas and I would head back to the pews. She had so much fun in fact she tells me she can't wait to go again!
Con: I am not a fan of their communion. It was World Communion Day, and I have germ issues. They do the bread and dip thing. I really, really dislike that!

Pro: they all thought Thomas was cute and Gracie was beautiful
Con: I am not sure they really want us back after my son threw several tantrums and made a spectacle of himself until I finally had to take him out for good and wait until the service was over to get Gracie and leave.

Pro: they all begged me to come back and bring the kids even though my son was a terror.

So, I guess the best thing for us is to try again. Gracie got a lot out of it, and that is worth continuing on alone! Now, as for Thomas the Terror: yes, they had a nursery, but I wasn't going to torture some poor nursery volunteer with my rambunctious not even two year old. He would have screamed his head off nearly the entire time, and I just didn't need that on my conscious. So, either he will have to do the nursery thing (and we will have to tip BIG!), or Garren and I will have to take turns staying at home with him. Him staying through the service is NOT an option. I guess I forgot to mention another "con." It is one of those churches/services you can hear a pin drop! Of course, they send all of the kids out after the children's message, so I guess it makes sense.

So, there you have it.

And, several of you mentioned that you said a prayer for us this morning, and I really thank you for it. Although, you forgot to ask for Thomas to be a good boy! So, continue to pray--and next time be more specific! :)

2 Responses to "A New Place To Pray"

  1. Sorry, I will try to be more specific next Sunday. :)
    Yes, it was World Wide Communion Sunday. I think a lot of churches did things differently. The church we went to had a lady "helping" and repeating the minister in her native German language. I have seen this lady many times in church, but never assisting in the service. It was "different", however interesting. I hope you will go to the church again. As for Thomas, hang in there. Only you know what is best for him (and you). Although "Uncle Brian" never sat still in church (still doesn't) after several Sundays,he got "the message" about TRYING to sit as still and quiet as possible. Churches have changed so much over the years. Some now have great programs for children. Good luck with whatever decision you make. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice5:49 PM

    Well, I'm glad that Gracie liked it! I'd let Thomas stay with Garren until he is a little older. I'm NOT a fan of church nurseries, and there's no way I could get anything out of a sermon knowing my child was in the nursery. I especially wouldn't consider leaving her at a new church with strangers. So, I totally understand your thinking on this matter. Try out some other churches in the area. I can tell you that you will ALWAYS think of your home church. That will NOT go away. It's been five years for me now, and I still think of what's going on at my home church. I still miss it, and there are many many times that I think I want to go back. I really want to go back now that they have a new pastor. So, this will be another challenge that comes with your move.
    Personally, after going to both large and small churches, I can say that I'm still a fan of the big church. If you'd asked me 9 months ago, I would have said small church. Now, as a mommy, I want my child in a church that has lots to offer for children. Our church has Sunday School, and she'll be the ONLY child in there when she's old enough. We have VBS and a Christmas play each year. That's it really. I might as well just keep her home and teach her a Bible story on my own.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel