Christmas Parade

It was by far the most cold Christmas parade I remember ever taking children to, and it happened to be the longest one too.

Mommy was so terribly homesick yesterday thinking about missing the Christmas parade at "home." But, I wasn't about to let my pathetic mood keep the kids from seeing a parade.

Today was Mechanicsville's annual Christmas parade, and I wasn't sure what to expect...or where to park, or where it went, or where to sit...but I was sure we were going to go as a family and have a good time.

This actually marked Thomas' first Christmas parade. Thanks to the enormous amounts of snow last year, Strasburg's parade was canceled. Also today Thomas wore his first ever winter coat and got and ate (drooled) his first ever lollipop-- all over said first coat-- and his first pair of gloves.

The parade started at 3pm, and I recognized Gracie's school on the parade route they had listed. Relieved, I told Garren we would park there.

Since the route went along several streets, there weren't crowds and crowds of people, so we just kind of parked along the parade route and let the kids sit on the car.

That was the smartest decision we could have made!! It was so cold that in between floats and bands (there were FOUR HIGH SCHOOL BANDS in this thing!!) the kids would warm up in the car.

Mommy made Christmas cookies and popcorn for snacks as the kids watched the parade. There were a few lulls in the action--as there are in most parades--but the floats and participants were by far incredibly well made and festive!

I was most impressed by one of the high school bands, a gymnastics float that had a girl swinging over the bar while the float drove down the street, and a float that had train cars with kids in them going around a tree. These groups and businesses really put a lot of work and effort into their projects--and it showed!


The kids were given way too much candy, and we were all freezing by the time the parade ended--but we all had a good time and that is what matters most.

Okay you have to see the girl flipping! Of course my video is of the float stopped, but that was because it took too long to get my camera out--she was doing that while it was going!




Now watch the kids going around the tree!


2 Responses to "Christmas Parade"

  1. Candice4:04 PM

    Glad you all had a good time! We didn't dare go to the parade because I think 38 was the highest temperature we saw all day here on Sunday! There are now 5 high school bands in our parade! Of course, two of those five are very small bands. Plus the Greeneville Middle School band marches in it. I love the little kids going around the tree! I would PUKE. Seriously, could you imagine going in tiny circles all the time around that tree all WHILE that truck is moving. I think I'm getting vertigo just thinking about it!! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Ruth9:38 AM

    I'm totally impressed with the young lady swinging around that bar (Looks like fun!) and the little cars going around the tree. I'm with Candice - I think I'd have to visit the woods there and puke after too much of that. Everyone does look cold, so I'm glad the car was nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel