Maymont With Sara

My friend from high school Sara came to the Richmond area this weekend, and actually *wanted* to take my kids somewhere. Now that we are back, I doubt she will make that mistake again ;) I'm kidding they were good and had fun. Thomas got a little fussy, but nothing a bink and a stroller couldn't cure.

Sara has been giving me all sorts of goals and lists for things to do in our new "city," and I am proud to say I have been able to cross of "see Nutcracker," and "botanical gardens." Well, now we can cross off "Maymont." But, we will likely visit again.

Maymont is this massive plantation (my words) that a very wealthy family owned how every many years ago. Well, we didn't see the home today, but we did visit the Nature Center and Barn (with animals) and walked---well, a long way and saw countless animals and beautiful gardens.

The kids liked the nature center a lot. It was full of water tanks with fish and turtles and other animals. It was a hands-on place, and it was indoors, which was nice since it decided to rain today!

Our favorite animal was the river otter. Oh, I could have stayed and watched that cute little sucker all day. He was showing off and doing flips and all sorts of things.

We decided to brave the barely sprinkle and we set off to walk the grounds. They had areas with fenced in animals to see along the trails. It was like being at a zoo! We saw hawks, vultures (that creeped me out, but I kept thinking "what'cha wanna do? I dunno, what you wanna do?"), there was a bald eagle, and allegedly a black bear--but we couldn't see him. I think we spotted all the other animals though.


Before we headed to the barn animals mommy wanted to see the Japanese garden. Oh my goodness--how beautiful!! I could totally live with that view in my back yard! Gracie liked walking across the stepping stones in the middle of the pond. Mommy wasn't as thrilled--mostly because I had to carry Thomas across them and it was wet and slippery! I was sure one or both of us would end up in the water! I don't have any pictures of that adventure either since all of my concentration was not on slipping and falling!


We walked more and found the barn and the animals there. But, by that time Thomas was getting tired and cranky. Mommy was getting tired too. Pushing his heft tosh in that stroller along all those trails and hills was exhausting--but fun. And, I have to say I was glad it was overcast and drizzling, I can't imagine doing all of that in the blaring hot sun.

So, a big thank you to Sara for taking us out and showing us something new, and for spending the day with the kids and I. We hope you won't be too scared to do it again sometime. And, we plan to visit Sara too this summer. She lives at the beach :)

2 Responses to "Maymont With Sara"

  1. Candice12:14 PM

    Looks like a neat place. I look forward to taking my little princess so many places, but I want to enjoy this sweet baby stage right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracie and Thomas were so well behaved, I don't know why you keep apologizing for them. Spending time with children often makes me glad that I don't have any. Spending the day with you all almost made me want one or two. :)

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel