An Honest Chat

...about books.

I have noticed lately that Gracie doesn't want to read. In fact she makes a huge deal out of her 10 minute required reading for homework (she makes a HUGE deal out of everything these days...but that is a rant for later), and when I suggest she go read on the weekends--well, you would have thought I told her to paint the house.

So, tonight at dinner, we had a chat.

I asked her why she didn't seem to like reading anymore. I started the discussion by telling her I noticed that she didn't seem to be enjoying school anymore, or reading. I had told her in the past week how grandma used to beg me to go out and play, but my nose was either stuck in a book or I was playing in my own world by myself in my room.

I want her to have a love for reading--and it was there! It was! I don't know where it went...but I won't let her walk away. Not completely anyway. If I push her it will only make her drag her feet more.

So, after our discussion I came away with these facts:

1. she is lazy. Not an epiphany here--I have noticed this for months now and it is driving me insane!!

2. She isn't interested in the books she has.


Okay, I can deal with the second one.

So, we went to her room and started sorting the books. This gave me a chance to see what she was interested in, and it gave her a chance to see what she had.

I have collected so many books for her--so many, she couldn't remember what she had. So, by weeding out the "boring" ones, we had a better (and less full) shelf to choose from.

I doubt that my battle with reading is over, but I hope this helps her some. And, since I plan to encourage her to read even when she doesn't have to, I now know what to buy to pique her interest.

What does she like?

*Barbie
*Princess
*Rainbow Magic Fairies
*Magic Tree House

...really, were you surprised?

She tells me she is over Junie B. (becuase she is in 2nd grade and Junie is only in first--duh mommy!), she didn't care for Judy Moody or Geronimo Stilton...or frankly any of the books I found interesting. So, basically, I continue to "pay the mouse" as Garren would say. Um, when does the princess thing wear off?!!

2 Responses to "An Honest Chat"

  1. Grandma8:32 AM

    Mommy, are you over the "princess thing"? -you know "Princesses on Ice", seeing Gracie in beautiful "princess" dresses, etc ? I don't think (deep down) most girls ever get over the whole dressing up "princess" thing. Hopefully being treated (even when older) as a "princess". Enjoy watching it while you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both liked Roald Dahl, EB White, and Judy Blume. Also, I liked Laura Ingles Wilder. Is she ready for Anne of Green Gables, Wizard of OZ...? Anyway, none of those involve princesses, but I didn't know if she'd tried them (the library should have them right?).

    Our kid better have the same taste in books as us. When they're little they won't have a choice, but I still have some books from when I was in elementary school that I plan to pass along.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel