De-Throned

I am not sure when it happened.

I know I did not abdicate, I did not step down, nor was I impeached. I am sure there is some sort of technical name for those who find themselves suddenly no longer the voice of power among their subjects.

I think there was a coup.

Years from now you will be telling me that I will lose the ears of my once loyal subjects all together...but for now losing their ability to do as I say is more than enough.

Do you remember Bill Cosby's constant trouble with his adorable children and in his last effort of self-defense he would say in the most comic way "because I said so!!"

It's like that, but without the laugh track.

My eldest seems to be in a stage where she knows it all and in her infinite wisdom she is sure that my commandments do not apply to her .

In fact, they apply so little to her she must mock me in the smuggest way possible...and most obvious. Not only will she not follow through with direct instructions, but she will get in my face and sing ditties she makes up about how horrible said task is.

Now, think about when Dr. Huxtable would say "I brought you in this world, I will take you out!!"

Yep, that is where I am.

While his older sister is taking her passive aggressive defiance to whole new obnoxious level--Thomas in his three year old "I am the boss" persona--will use foot stamping and shouting "no I not (fill in the blank)!!"

He too is sure that his wisdom is far more superior than his mothers.

I am not only baffled by my sudden lack of power in this kingdom, but I am also finding no plan to regain said power.

Now, the King, who never seems to lose his power simply tells me to "lay down the law." Unfortunately, I have never parented that way. How do I change the way I rule the land? I don't shout and yell, although the juvenile coup seems to have resulted in this parenting technique already, so I guess it wouldn't be that big of a leap.

And, it is more than just not listening, the sheer lack of respect for my authority, or their lack of respect for my being their mother.

And, I am fully aware that it will only get worse with time, but I only noticed recently that my kids think I am without a brain, and apparently without a crown. So, give me some time to grieve...

...and find a large scepter!

1 Response to "De-Throned"

  1. I very much relate. I am right there with you! Hang in there! I always like to approach it 'one day at a time'. Tomorrow might be better :)

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel