Footloose & Facebook Free

Okay, that sounds more exciting than it is, but I am already noticing a difference.

For several months I have noticed that I become more agitated and annoyed faster than I ever have.  As the day goes on my shortness with the kids and my husband is more and more apparent, and while I am not always aware of it--I notice it by days end.

I know life is hectic and crazy, but with two kids who can dress and mostly do things for themselves, there is no reason for me to be so frazzled.  And, then I realized what was feeding my irritation.

Facebook.

I know that sounds silly. But, I checked the social site multiple times a day. I would justify it saying it was my only source for adult conversation. And while that is true, I firmly believe that those "adult" conversations/interactions are what left me in a sour mood.

Most people have Facebook these days, and odds are your news feed is nothing like mine, or maybe it is.  But as the months pass on, and the years go by, most of my "feed" is full of negativity and anger and resentment and a multitude of other negative emotions.

We all have bad days and we all have causes and issues that we feel passionately about, but those aren't the "exceptions" of what is on the mind of my "friends" these many days.  Most people either start an argument or add to it or finish it.  Whether it is over life, or politics, or religion, or the President, or guns, or....you get the idea.

I have no problem admitting I am a sensitive person.  When people hurt I hurt for them. I have always been that way, and I pick up on other emotions and I find that I hang on to them.  I am not so good at blocking my heart.

And, I know that the easy thing to do is delete my account, and belive me I have thought about it.  But, it is my only connection and easiest communication to so many people.  I really don't want to go that route.  And second easiest is to be more strict about what I allow on my feed. You can determine who gets top billing and who gets slectively silenced on your feed, and I think  I will do that--when I get back.

I decided Sunday night that I didn't want to feel the way I was feeling anymore.  And I realized that while Facebook affects me far too much--I find that I am watching too much TV as well. At the end of the day I just crash after the kids are in bed and I let whatever is left to do stay undone and I curl up on the couch with the DVR.  After a weird dream that intertwined three different TV shows together, I knew that wasn't the way I needed to end my day.

So, yesterday I did not log on to Facebook even once.  And, I did not watch TV for me.  I let Thomas watch a little Nick Jr., but it stayed off from the time Thomas went "down" for quiet time until my bedtime.

I was rather proud of myself.  And astounded at how much I got done in a day with out distractions and so much negativity.

I would much rather surround myself with those who lift themselves and each other up, instead of tearing down, and there are far too many online friends who use Facebook to do the later.  Hopefully I can continue to limit my distractions and stay focused on the daily life that God wants me to lead--the daily life I need to lead for me and for my husband and my family.

****I did realize this morning that I do get email through FB, so I logged on just to check messages, and sure enough I have one.  So, I did technically get on FB this morning, but I didn't read anything but the email--so here's hoping that I can find and exercise moderation with the all too addicting social website!***


3 Responses to "Footloose & Facebook Free"

  1. Good for you! I find myself wasting too much time on Facebook. Mostly because I always have my phone with me since we don't have a home phone anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you!! FB is so hard to pull away from.... yet when I am away, I am so much happier!
    and you're probably happier because I'm not pokin' fun at you on fb these days ;)
    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can call me if you want adult conversation :) (of course I'm hard to get a hold of these days) We need to meet in W'burg - maybe a Saturday in May?

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel