Dollar Movie

Well, Grace, Bryce's mom is on a roll, because she told me about the Dollar Summer Movie for kids through Regal Cinemas. I knew about the free movies at Bow Tie in downtown, but I also don't go downtown much and I know parking would not be fun.  Plus, I have been to the theater in Short Pump.  Go with what you know!

So, I decided to be brave and take the kids this morning to see Alvin & The Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked. We of course have seen the movie before thanks to OnDemand, but we don't go out to the movies practically ever, so this was a fun (and cheap thing to do--before the popcorn anyway!).


The dollar movies are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10am.

Let me share my wisdom with you:

*Arrive BY 9:30. The line was to the street and down the sidewalk.  It was very nerve wracking to think that after all of that you may not get in at all!  We arrived around 9:45 and I was one very nervous mom (but that's because I stay stressed all the time anyway!).

*The board may say "Sold Out" and you will panic and almost leave the line, but since you are nearly next  you ask the ticket person and they say it isn't sold. I did not understand his explanation, I was just glad we got in. Apparently it does that when they reach a certain number, so ask before you walk away.

*Have one child?  Use your best judgement on snacks. Have more than 1? Trust me and get the large popcorn and large drink. Why? You can have one free refill on any large popcorn or drink (or both if you get both), and my little monsters polished off the popcorn in the first 30 minutes. Had I not been cheap and paid the extra DOLLAR, they would have lasted longer before whining about one eating more than the other.  I did get the large drink and we all shared it. If you have germ issues, forget that, but hey, they are my kids, so I figure it can't hurt.

*Load down your purse.  I am sure it is frowned upon, but even if you feel weird about taking in extra snacks, load up with napkins and/or baby wipes and.or paper towels.  I did not take extra snacks, but I wish I had like what seemed like EVERY OTHER mom did.  Keep the whines away after the popcorn was gone.

*Do not plan on the usual movie etiquette. If you get frustrated easily by crying/screaming/running around kids--you WILL be miserable. The cheapie kid price goes along with very young, young ones whose parents may not ordinarily pop for a new release ticket.  This gives their child a chance to see a movie and they don't have to go broke when their child eventually will not sit still or stay quiet.
Honestly, it wasn't that bad, but Thomas was fidgety himself, so I guess the others didn't bother me much.

*Be okay with lack of personal space.  I was afraid that we wouldn't get a seat at all, or we would get an impossible middle and Thomas would have to go to the bathroom and I would have to crawl over many people many times. The only seats left were the very front row. Worked out well.  We didn't have to crawl and we had more space. But, you will not have a row to yourself, and you may have to do the "theater dance" to get in and out of your seat.  They pack it full!

All in all, it was a stressful start, but it was a fun and different kind of summer fun morning. The kids enjoyed seeing the movie again and I liked taking them--you know, once we got in and got a seat.

Next week they are showing "Rio," which the kids and I also loved OnDemand. We will be in Lynchburg with Grandma for the week, and I bet that the movie theater there will also be packed, but we might take Grandma anyway and give it a try.  We are pros now :) And, the Regal in Lynchburg is participating.


2 Responses to "Dollar Movie"

  1. it should go a bit smoother here in lynchburg. that's how we roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! They have the free summer movies here too, but it's always packed. I'd rather just pay full price and have my space. Better yet, I'll settle for OnDemand or a rental and stay home. lol

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel