Rocket Launch

Did you see the rocket launch from Wallops Island tonight?  Did you know there was a rocket launch?

Yup, me neither.

Garren emailed me from work wanting to take the kids to watch it go since it would be visible in the night sky. I am not sure how far in Virginia you could see it, but the launch site is near the Chesapeake Bay, so less than 100 miles from us here in Richmond.

Anyway, it was freezing, but daddy was excited, so that made the kids excited.  I let them grab their pretend binoculars (although Thomas' worked super well!) and we braved the very cold temperatures to watch.

Garren thought near our Kroger would be a great place to watch, and it was, and we were not the only people out there!

It was cloudy, so we couldn't see it super well, but we watched a small bright red speck go over the horizon and into the night sky. We watched it arc, and Garren explained to the kids it wasn't crashing, it just looked like it as it went--where ever it was going. (he knew, but I think I may have glazed over during the scientific talk he gave the kids.  Okay, I DID glaze over).

The kids had a blast, and I put on my excitement face for the kids even though I was cold to the bone!

It didn't take long for the rocket to go up and out of sight, so he treated the kids to a sugary snack of their choice from Kroger before we headed home and got to bed.

It was a once in a life time opportunity, and it was cold, but it was something our whole family got to share.

Here is what a scienfic-y space website where I got the good pictures from said about it all:

"An Orbital Sciences Minotaur 1 rocket lights up the night sky as it launches the Air Force's ORS-3 mission of 29 small satellites into orbit from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Va., on Nov. 19, 2013."




The pictures of the actual rocket I found here.

1 Response to "Rocket Launch"

  1. Such a fun memory for the kids! Jason LOVES that kind of stuff. He would love to go into space. Not me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel