Cardinal Camp

We have been waiting for this day. Some of us more than others.

It was kind of confusing to Thomas to know that this was not the first day of school, and it would only be for a few hours.  Plus, he couldn't take a lunch or eat in the "food court" or ride the bus.

Today was Cardinal Camp.

Our school offers a Kindergarten mini school day for new to big school kids.

Since Gracie started her big school life in Strasburg, I didn't know the ropes for Kindergarten at MES. In fact, Kindergarten is the only grade at this school I know nothing about. I have no idea where the classrooms are, who the teachers are, what the field trips will be, etc.  So, I feel even more anxious about the whole process.

But, Thomas doesn't.

He was so excited when he got up this morning, he couldn't wait to go to Kindergarten!

I had made the lunch box bow tie more than a month ago when I thought Cardinal Camp had been cancelled and he would just meet his teacher for a few minutes like Gracie, but I wasn't about to change the "look" even though he would be there for 2 hours.

I have to say he looked precious, and I got a lot of compliments on how cute he was. Of course most came from people who were not the least bit surprised he was dressed that way.  Another benefit of having big sister at the school is that so many people have watched him grow over the past 4 years and know his face...and the way his mama dresses him :)


We got to school early and dropped Gracie at the front office to hang out with friend Mary Gray (the principal's daughter) so I could completely focus on Thomas.  Then we found a seat among a ton of Kindergarten parents in the cafeteria. Grace was nice enough to save us a seat, so Thomas and Bryce could sit together.

We got a short introduction and then Dr. Robinson called out names to go with teachers.  Well, we were on the first list, so we followed Mrs. Naff--our new Kindergarten teacher to the classroom!

Thomas and Bryce are in the same class, and I can't tell you how excited (and relieved) I am about that.

Thomas was bopping along as we winded our way through the school and down hallways. I was less bouncy as I was the one weighed down by the massive school supplies I was carrying.


The kids had to find their names at a table. Thomas was initially upset that he and Bryce were at different tables, but he moved on to coloring after spying his friend at the table behind him.

We parents listened to the teacher for a few minutes and attempted to balance school papers in our laps before being summoned back to the cafeteria for more information and a chance to fill out more papers.

Before we left the classroom though, Mrs. Naff instructs the kids, now on the carpet, to blow us a kiss goodbye. No! Of all the things she could have said--not that!!  Well, I had my camera out, and quickly pushed the record button, but didn't get all the kisses.  I saw mine though, and seriously had to fight back tears.



Grace and I sat on the uncomfortable stools in the cafeteria and filled out more than a half hour of paper work and paid fees before leaving.  We would come back at 2 to pick up our boys.


I got back a little early, as I hate to be late, and I wasn't sure how long to allow for parking and walking.  So, I got a few extra glimpses in their day. Their class happened to be in the music room when  I walked past, so I snuck a peek, and a picture. And then I got to see them line up and walk into the room.



The kids sat back on the carpet and Mrs. Naff read them (and us parents) "The Night Before Kindergarten"  At the end they all got a copy of the book and an MES sticker to take home.

Thomas had a great mini-school day. And, while he saw and did a million things, the only thing he will tell you about is getting to sit on a school bus.  He has such a one-track mind!  My crazy kid.

I was less than dignified probably throughout this whole experience, but thankfully I didn't have to do it alone. My kid is excited, and I have 21 other moms who were feeling anxious in some form or another right along with me. One of whom I can at least talk to.  Thanks Grace for going through all of us this with me. It is nice to have someone who understands :)

1 Response to "Cardinal Camp"

  1. I am so glad he is so excited! I'm praying for you as I know this is hard for you. I dread this day too because it's the official reminder to us that they aren't babies anymore. I hope he has a great school year!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel