Apples Fresh From Home

Daddy had a brilliant idea for today--lets go apple picking!


While most of the people around here go to Carter's Mountain in Charlottesville, we would much rather drive 2.5 hours and go home to get apples.  They have the best crop, and the best people.


Like always, mommy tried to cram in everything she could for the few hours we had allotted, and like always we left for Mechanicsville way later than we had planned.


But, it was a good day. It was a great day. It was a wonderful day!


The sky was gorgeous, the weather perfect, the air crisp, the sun warm.  I know it sounds like I paint a picture to good to be true, but it really was a "perfect" day outside. Although, I am sure that my thoughts on the day might be tainted with the way I get all warm and fuzzy when we visit the Shenandoah Valley.


We got 2 huge bags of apples. We went a little earlier this year, so there weren't as many varieties of apples to choose from, so mostly the bags are full of the kids and daddy's favorite: golden delicious.  Mommy likes more sour apples, but mostly my job is to make it into pies and cakes anyway.


This year we popped for overpriced lunch and snagged up the last of the BBQ and one of the last batches of apple cider doughnuts. We are so happy that the Marker-Miller Orchard is doing so well, but I have to admit, I like it when we were able to enjoy the place a lot less overcrowded.  But, again, good for them! Agra-tourism rocks!

After apples we saw our very dear friends and neighbors for more than 6 years the Mozingo's.  We have been away from Strasburg for 4 years now, and have started year #5, but we will always be more like family with this family.  We loved getting time to visit with them, and I got a photo.

Aunt Ruth & Uncle George had a packed Sunday, but we were thrilled that we were able to meet up with them as well. Daddy loves the ice cream place and we got lucky that they hadn't closed for the season, so we asked the Hoffman's to meet us there.
I love how my kids don't even notice how much time is gone. They run to some of their most favorite people like they haven't spent a day apart.  I can't tell you how much it warms my heart that distance has not made my children forgetful.  We adults (especially me) hang on to every moment and memory and warm feeling despite how long it has been, but kids are more of the "out of sight, out of mind" mindset.

It was a wonderful day. I don't think I can say that enough.  Our trips home "recharge" me, they fill me heart up usually at the time I need it most.

1 Response to "Apples Fresh From Home"

  1. I'm so glad you guys were able to go "home" for apples! I wanted J to get to pick apples, and the lady told me they don't do "pick your own" anymore! Boo!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel