We Are Not Immune



Best laid plans. Flu shots. Hand sanitizer.

School aged children can conquer them all.

All three kids have been home for the past two days.

The school nurse called me on Tuesday to tell me Thomas had a 100.8 fever, and to also let me know two other kids from his class had been sent home with fevers as well.

By Wednesday morning it was clear our middle man was not feeling great, but it looks like he has avoided the terrifying strain of the flu. His teacher emailed me to let me know that the other two students in the class tested positive for the flu, and there is no doubt in my mind he has it too. He says he feels dizzy and his legs are shaky and weak and he has barely eaten anything.

As for Gracie, I think she just has a bad cold (and perhaps some jealousy), but I am thinking that sending her to school with a struggling immune system only opens the door for more serious germs, so I am letting her get away with it-for now.

And the baby. Well, he scared us Sunday by waking up crying hard and then being pale and wouldn’t eat or do anything but snuggle. And don’t get me wrong—I love to snuggle,  but that is definitely not our wild child at all!

Under arm temperature readings had him in the normal range, but in the afternoon when he still wouldn’t move from the bed and his eyes seemed to get more dark and sunken I put the thermometer in his mouth. I can’t believe he didn’t fight me, but come to find out he had a 101 fever!

One dose of Tylenol and he is back to his wild self and eating everything in sight! He woke up Monday morning fever free and like nothing happened!




Daddy got sick on his birthday and is still coughing. He contracted some sort of tuberculosis version of illness and promptly passed it on to me.

So, the entire Shipley family is still a little bit ill in some way. (Tobias seems fine, but he is sleeping a LOT more than usual).

We wait, and try to heal. And, we try to change the subject off birthdays. Thomas turns 9 tomorrow and the first thing he said to me when I picked him up from school was “what about my birthday?!” My continued reply is “let’s just take it a day at a time,” but he is one very upset camper knowing that he will likely not get taken out to dinner on his special day or see his friends. But, if you know me at all, you know he will be more than celebrated!

1 Response to "We Are Not Immune"

  1. Anonymous7:52 PM

    So sorry to hear the whole family has been 🤒 sick. Same with me- I missed two days from work, and here it is a week later, and I have a terrible cold still lingering. It’s supposedly a very bad year for cold & flu everywhere. Hope you all get well quickly. On another note, It’s so great hearing from you! I hope you’re “back”!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel