Mommy & Daddy Go Out


For the first time in 6 years, Garren and I celebrated our anniversary with a dinner out. Yep, now that I type it out--it is clearly sad.

Now, I have a husband who doesn't "forget" the date of our anniversary, we just never do anything to celebrate. Having kids seems to suck the energy, life, and money out of a couple and we just never found the opportunity to get out of the house with out kids and remember why we got married.

Now, technically our anniversary isn't until Tuesday, but we got an early 9th anniversary gift from Aunt Ruth and Uncle George. They insisted on keeping BOTH of my kiddos for the evening so we could enjoy each others company.

Seeing how we rarely get to go out to eat, and when we do my food is usually cold because I have to cut up someonelse's portions, take someone to the potty 5 times, wipes faces, feed bottles...etc; I can't imagine why I hesitated on taking them up on this offer.

Well, I do know why. I am one of those people (I might be the only one), who think that my children are my problem (and joy). No one else should have to take care of them, listen to them, be annoyed by them, dress them, feed them..etc. It is solely my burden to bear. After all, I choose to have them.

In our younger days (before kids), Garren and I would get disgusted at the couples who would take their small ones to restaurants and act oblivious to them throwing food, throwing temper tantrums, crawling under tables...you get the idea. And now that I have children, I still don't think anyone else should have to hear them. We would leave if either ever made a scene, and I thoroughly clean the table, get down on the floor and pick up any dropped food or napkins, stack all plates, and wipe the table off before we leave a restaurant (which embarrasses the snot out of my husband!). No one should have to clean up after them either.

So, perhaps now the fact that Gracie was 4 before she got her first babysitter (and that was only so Garren could go with me to see our new baby on the ultrasound) might make a little more sense.

Even when it comes to family, I hesitate in letting them do anything. I have always fed, changed, clothed, and put my babies to bed at our families homes when we visit. They may be grandparents, but it isn't their responsibility to do any of those things, and I feel very awkward should they try (and I NEVER ask anyone too).

So back to my dilemma: to let these wonderful people keep our well behaved kids and worry that they will run screaming from our home and we will never see them again. Or, have some faith and let myself have a night off.

I really didn't get a chance to choose. Garren did all but sky write "YES!"

So, we went out.

It wasn't for long, and we sadly laughed about the fact that we ended up talking about the kids. But, hey, you have to start somewhere.

When we returned home not quite 3 hours later, we found our babies sound asleep, the house quiet, and no one ran away.

In fact they had so much fun, I know that Gracie is going to beg us to leave her with Aunt Ruth & Uncle George more often.

Wow, look what happens when mommy lightens up!

...don't get used to it. I was born uptight! ;)


**TOP: Uncle George starts to feed Thomas before we leave. Aunt Ruth snapped the bottom picture while we were gone. Apparently Thomas was quite comfy and fell asleep with Uncle George rocking him. From what I hear he also got sang to, and cuddled all night long! As for Gracie, Aunt Ruth & Uncle George each had to read her a story, and she told them all about school and even added to the mural with Aunt Ruth.**

4 Responses to "Mommy & Daddy Go Out"

  1. Grandma5:31 PM

    Looks like Aunt Ruth and Uncle George did a great job of filling in for Grandma and Grandpa. We are so glad they are there and are such special people to our family. Thank you Aunt Ruth and Uncle George!
    (hope you remembered the ice cream and chocolate milk before Mommy and Daddy got home) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice9:26 PM

    Oh my...give me their phone number!! I must tell her to sneak in sugar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Ruth7:14 PM

    And Aunt Ruth and Uncle George had a blast with them, too! We had a nice time laughing with you and Garren, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonia7:15 PM

    Sounds like fun was had by all. Its nice to know that you have friends who wanted to keep your children (this means they must be well behaved for someone to offer) and you got a few hours with your husband.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel