Reading Homework


Each day Gracie brings home a baggie of books that she has to read as a part of her homework assignment.

Since homework began to come home, mommy has endured all sorts of "interesting" reading material. I have listened to stories that have no plot, funny stories, animal fact books, people fact books, and books that I can't wait for her to stop bringing home.

Each child can bring home the same set of books for days or even weeks. They enforce repetition and practice.

As Gracie has soared through the ranks of her level readers (she is on "K" now!!!) she brings home fewer books, but the ones she brings home are longer, and longer....and longer.

I never know what to expect listening to her stumble through each afternoon. And while I love to hear my child read--the books they give them are seriously lacking content, plot, and just plain excitement.

That was NOT the case today! I was thrilled to open her back pack and find one of my childhood favorites inside: "Frog and Toad Are Friends."

Oh how I loved (and still love!) Frog & Toad.

She hadn't practiced the book that day during reading groups, and wasn't so sure as I was. But, as she read chapter after chapter I could see the same smile cross her lips as she was reading, as I had on mine listening.

What a wonderful moment that was sharing something together--my childhood and my love of reading...and hers.

1 Response to "Reading Homework"

  1. Candice11:27 AM

    There are some just plain stupid stories and BORING stories in the reading text books. I honestly skip the stories that I can't stand to read myself. I tried them the first year, and I saw the kids hated them. Week three of each unit in our reading series is terrible.

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel