Busy Tuesday

Like I said: lots of summer activities planned, and some spur-of-the-moment.  Kind of like today.

Zumba

So, the gym we go to is advertising a "Family Zumba" class on Tuesday mornings. Well, Zumba is one of those things I thought "that looks like fun, I wish I would try it."  Well folks, today I tried it. Gold Star please.  In fact, all three of us tried it.

We lasted 30 minutes of the half hour.  It was Thomas who forced the early leave. He was so embarrassed when we had to turn to the mirror. He has too much of his mama's inner perfectionist in him. He wouldn't let go of my hand and I couldn't attempt the moves, so we left.

Yes, attempt. "Easy," my hind end! "Any one can do it," my hind end! "No one will notice you can't keep up,"my hind end! It was hard, embarrassing, and not a second of fun (and I went in with a positive mind--promise!)

So, while I did intend to make it though the hour, I had no intentions of EVER going back to that class again.

Now, while you are all laughing, and really it is okay, because you would have been rolling on the floor if I had allowed you to witness it--let me tell you the biggest reason I wouldn't have returned. Besides being embarrassing, hard, and humiliating, I spent just as much time cringing at many of the "dance" moves. They were not only completely inappropriate for my 10 year old daughter to be doing, but just as much so for me as a married woman.  I was appalled.  Now, I have no doubt that is what people call "just dancing," but I don't ever want to see my girl moving her body that way at any age, and I certainly wouldn't move my body in those ways even if I was a size 2 out of respect for my marriage and my definition of decency. I am pretty sure God doesn't want my parts moving like that in public.


Pancake Day


So, clearly we ended the gym day early.  But, what could be better for moving on from that "experience" than a surprise stack of pancakes from IHOP. I am on their mailing list somehow and I got an email yesterday that said today was their 56th birthday, and so short stacks of pancakes were $.56! Can't beat that!  The kids and I stopped on the way home and really enjoyed our pancake stacks. I felt kind of "cheap" for just ordering those and drinks, but not after I saw that none of us could finish our three pancakes!  It was a lot more food that I was thinking it would be. I had even ordered a 4th stack when I saw the kids diving in. I figured we could split it. But, we ended up leaving it untouched on the table.

School Work

We were back at it again today--hooray for us! I found Gracie a FULL and UNUSED Summer Bridge workbook for upcoming 5th graders, so she is doing a few pages a day.  Some days she is less excited about the work than others.  Take a look at the "essay" she was supposed to write today.  Stinker pants!

But then, she finishes out her work like this.  She has both of her parents in that creative, sarcastic, moody brain of hers!



Bass Pro Shop
 



Nope, not done with today yet!

I remembered from last year that Gracie did a free workshop at Bass Pro and got an archery pin.  I learned about them last year from Grace who took Bryce, and this year I shared the info with Gracie's best friend Clara's mom.

So, all 4 of our kids met up today for some workshops, and my kids earned 2 pins.

And, that would have been enough, even with the shooting gallery upstairs being free. But, no, we had to push the envelope.

That is my precious son. My gift from God. My baby....holding his target and standing next to the pink BB Gun he used to shoot the paper.

I don't think I can even put in words the cringing that happened when he insisted on "doing that!" when he saw that Jacob was doing it.  This is daddy's job. And it is my job to get mad and nag him to pieces for letting our precious touch a g-u-n. I am not supposed to have any part in this! At all!

He looks proud. He was proud. And, I never want to see that precious face being proud of shooting something again. He can be proud of just about anything else.  No face that innocent and precious should shine for violence.

 Yeah, I know I live in a fantasy world if I think my BOY will never do anything raw and wild and violent.  But, leave me here in my happy little unrealistic realm of my own reality.  I am happy here.

1 Response to "Busy Tuesday"

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel