Kindergarten Physical


I assure all moms out there that there is something worse than watching as a pediatrician gives your newborn shots in the thighs...watching or knowing that the pediatrician is giving your 5 year old shots.

A newborn or infant will cry, and you can pick them up and soothe them and they likely fall asleep and will never remember the incodent. Taking a preschooler to the doctor is far more traumatic for both of you. For starters the child knows it is coming and can look at you with those eyes of betrayal. And it will be a long time before they forget--if ever, and they will never look at the doctor the same way.

I only warn you as a public service. Many of my friends have given birth to their first babies this year, and though Garren took Gracie and I stayed at home, booster shots for Gracie was far worse than anything we have had to do to our children.

When he got home Garren told me that it was the most brutal thing he has ever had to do and told me I wouldn't have made it.

Poor Gracie milked her bad day for a while, but seemed to come out of the process not to badly scathed.

Daddy said she didn't cry until the shots, four of them to be exact. I was relieved about the crying since the last time we saw a doctor (for her preschool physical) she screamed from the time the doctor came in, until we got in the car.

Gracie has only been to the doctor once besides wellness visits (thank goodness!), so we knew she would be nervous. We talked to her about it last night and reassured her this morning before she left. I don't know if it helped, but when she got home she stormed up to me and said "it hurt!" and walked away. I felt so bad for her, but knew it was for her benefit.

She got ice cream and stickers and she told all of her woes to Grandma, who I am sure made a big fuss over all of it. She seems to be fine, although she will think about it every so often and mention that her legs hurt. I don't think they do, she just sees the band aids (which she treats like glass and won't let anyone look at and definitely not touch).

Besides the shots, she got checked out and weighed and she is in great health, and is a giant! She is 46.5 inches, which puts her in the 99th percentile in height, and she is 51.2 pounds, which is the 97th percentile! What a big girl!

So, our Gracie is now one step closer to Kindergarten. I guess I will have to stop trying NOT to use that word, it is inevitable.

2 Responses to "Kindergarten Physical"

  1. Grandma5:54 PM

    Gracie, I still think you should have room service, complete with extra pillows (fluffed occasionally), ice cream , cool drinks with straws (topped with fruit of course), fine dining including (steak and spaghetti), and other amenities. Maybe you should also have a bell to ring just in case Mommy and Daddy don't hear you call. Let me know if you need any encouragement on this end.
    Congratulations on becoming a "big girl" ready for "big school"!x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara D.4:36 PM

    I had a similar experience. We had to have two nurses plus Marty hold Jaxon down, while a third nurse administered shots. The whole time, he was yelling, "Mommy, it hurts! Please don't let them hurt me!" It was one of the most traumatic things I've gone through with Jaxon. I don't mind taking them while they're babies, but when they're old enough to say things like that, it just breaks my heart. One of the things we moms (and dads!) have to endure, I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel