Learning Garden Update


I realize I haven't really updated my readers about our garden lately. Since we planted early May we have really gotten some great results. Despite a deer invasion, we have blooms and some veggies starting to get big.

A deer came along last week or so and ruined my peppers and cucumbers, not to mention eating the leaves off my precious strawberry plants. The strawberries are fine, in fact I have 6-7 little white ones and one big reddening one. One of the strawberry plants is even trying to spread! The cucumbers plants were gobbled up. They were very small since they were planted later on, but I put out new seeds tonight, so maybe they will be up and growing soon. As for the peppers, I think the deer's snack on the jalapenos has kept him from returning. The peppers are attempting to bounce back, but those too may need to be replaced.


The rest of the plants are booming. The corn is getting pretty big. I have a huge squash plant that now has 4 little squash bulbs. I have 2-3 small green tomatoes on all but one of my plants (the one got attacked by a groundhog, but is bouncing back nicely). We ended up with 2 potatoes bushes. Garren planted a whole row, but that is all that "took." We planted carrots, but the rocky soil didn't seem to help them much, so we re-dug and Garren planted okra, which is really blossoming. We do have 3 or 4 carrots that we will be able to pick later in the summer.


I am so proud of the garden and it's success. Gracie has really gotten a lot out of it, and that was the point. We may even get a basketful of veggies. I noticed tonight while I was weeding and replanting pumpkins (birds ate the seeds I think) and cucumber (deer), we have a lot of left over space in the garden. I am thinking about adding some more plants that might be fun. Earlier today I saw a cantaloupe set in Walmart. Some fun plants like that might be interesting to watch. I'll work on it this week.


The top picture was taken Wednesday by Colette when I took the girls out to get a new look at how things were growing. The bottom 3 are pictures from tonight. I am quite proud!

1 Response to "Learning Garden Update"

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Perhaps you and Gracie should make a scarecrow!!! It sounds like you have more critter problems than we do! We can't run these stupid turkeys off. Lucie barks at them, and they wait til she's quiet and come right back. The goats did chase the turkeys one night...with me running and holding their leashes....not a pretty sight!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel