More Independace

Daddy is feeling my pain tonight. Gracie leaving for Kindergarten didn't break his heart, telling him she no longer needed help in the shower did.

Daddy has almost always taken care of bathing Gracie.

In the beginning it hurt my back to lean over the tub and help her get clean, and then when she needed to do showers (and you may remember the terror over washing her hair!!!) I couldn't reach the shower head without having to stand on the side of the tub. This being dangerous, Daddy kept on "bath" duty.

In the past few months we have made great strides at getting Gracie over her fear of "shower thingy" (the shower head) and she has really been proud of being able to get her hair wet.

And now, she can shampoo and rinse by herself.

So, when daddy went to help her tonight...she didn't need him. She turned the water on herself, found the right temperature, washed, rinsed, got out, and got ready all by herself.

To make us feel better she came downstairs and said "I still love you even when though I don't need you anymore." She had a huge smile on her face, and I think sensing that was the biggest knife in our collective chests, she corrected herself. "Well, I will still need you for grown up things,"

We will take what we can get. And, I hope this is it for awhile, I don't know if I can handle any more separation. And, finally, I don't think Daddy can either.

1 Response to "More Independace"

  1. Candice4:00 PM

    Yeah my friend with 4 kids said this broke her heart more than anything! Her kids did this to her one by one...no HELP from mom!

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel