Gracie Builds

I have been looking forward to this morning for over a month now, so you can imagine how bummed I was when I woke up to tons of snow on the ground and more still falling.

Candice would lecture me on the wonders of snow, but I had such a day planned! Gracie I were going to Home Depot to do our first ever Kids Workshop, and then this afternoon was the town Christmas Parade and tree lighting. It would be the first for Thomas, and the 4th (maybe?) for Gracie.

I figured they would cancel the parade (and they did), but I wasn't going to let the snow keep us from getting to do one of our exciting things today.

Gracie and I braved a not so smoothe Interstate all the way to Winchester, which houses our only Home Depot.

The workshops are from 9am to 12 noon. By the time I made up my mind and we got ready, and we drove very slowly the 20 miles there...we arrived at 11:30.

But, that was okay. There were other kids there and the whole project took about 30 minutes to make.

We had a FANTASTIC time!! This was the neatest idea and we thank my friend Heather and her son Tyler for letting me know about it. (Tyler at age 2 is an old pro at these workshops and has 6 pins to prove it :)

These workshops are once a month and are completely free! They give each child a project kit to make in the store, a nifty orange apron, a pin, and a certificate.

Today Gracie made a wooden wagon. I helped a little by getting the nails started, but she really did most of the work--and LOVED every minute.

I was beaming of course and snapping lots of pictures. And, I have to say I felt very proud of myself as there were several dads who "took over" the projects for their kids because they weren't doing it right. They didn't say that out loud, but you could tell, and the child (who was clearly old enough) kept saying "let me do it dad!"

Gracie polished off her new wagon with Christmas stickers and I was one proud mommy. Well, I always am, but I really enjoyed my one on one time with Gracie. We don't get that too often. And, I better enjoy it. Next month she tells me "I want Uncle George to take me."

I am looking forward to seeing what new projects they offer each month, and letting her collect her pins to add to her apron.

If you have a Home Depot close by, TAKE YOUR KIDS! The workshops are the first Saturday of each month from 9am to 12 noon in ALL Home Depot stores. And don't forget to have fun--and let your child build their own project ;)

3 Responses to "Gracie Builds"

  1. Grandma3:42 PM

    Gracie, your wagon is very cool! Grandpa and I love it! We are also very glad you got to make a craft. It looks like you had lots of fun in one of Grandpa's favorite stores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle George9:51 PM

    That is SO AWESOME!!! I am so proud of you, Gracie, for doing such a great job!! Next time you are going to work at Home Depot, you be sure and let me know, ok?!?!

    I can't WAIT to see your wagon! Thanks for sharing!!

    Love,
    Uncle George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather & Tyler9:52 PM

    Oh this makes us both VERY happy!!! I am so glad that you went, and so glad that you both had a wonderful time! Now go back every month and get a new pin! We were told today that next month's project is a calendar. VERY neat. :)
    Thank you for the picture. I can't wait to show Tyler in the morning. :)

    Heather & Tyler

    ReplyDelete

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel